How to find the technology behind a website?
Any website has a technology behind it which is used to create and develop it. There are numerous websites on the web which are developed using different technologies. This article helps you find the technology used on a website. Probably, there might be three reasons why a person would like to know about the technology behind a website.
- When one is researching the market.
- Curiosity to find and learn one’s competitors’ websites.
- When an IT security professional is doing a research
You can find details like the email address behind a website, operating system, web server, web technologies, etc., by using a few online tools listed below:
W3 Techs Site Info tool provides you the following information in detail in a tabular format.
- Rankin of Popularity
- Compression, SPDY, HTTP/2, HSTS, SSL cert details,
- Content Management System used like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc
- Character encoding
- Image file formats
- Site elements – external CSS, inline CSS,
- Markup language
- Analytics, Web server, analytics, reverse proxy details
- You also get the technology score based on traffic and popularity
- It provides you the technologies used to make a website
- It is easy to use
- It also gives you the related trend statistics
- Apart from technologies, it also gives the advertising tactics
- It tracks the website at a broader level and reveals each component
- easy way to find out technologies stack
- Easy to install
- It is a browser extension available for firefox and chrome
- It detects the technologies behind a website and shows details
- One of the easiest to use
- It gives technologies score
- Lists the advertising tactics, widget, analytics, mobile, social sharing, content management system, content delivery network, open graph, media, meta tags, and schema
The Netcraft site report is one of the oldest tools. It helps you in finding the following information:
- Network – it contains the IPv4/IPv6 address, registrar of the domain, owner of the network, country which is hosting
- Background – front screen, title page, ranking, language, description
- Sender Policy Framework details
- Site technologies – Content Delivery Network, Content Management System, software, Really Simple Syndication, compression, character encoding
- Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security – vulnerability status like POODLE, heart bleed, Secure Sockets Layer certification details, protocol negotiation, public key, certificate type & chain details
- Hosting – who is hosting the website
- Security – risk rate, block list
- Doesn’t give all the details
- It only gives the content management system being used like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Blogger, and 138 more.
- Finds your customer
- Analyzes competitors technologies
- Provides daily updates for the top 1,000,000 websites.